15 Life Lessons to Survive in this World
I am not usually one to make a big deal about my birthday, but it has given me an opportunity to reflect upon my past achievements and failures. I made new friends, lost some old friends, started a website, and failed a course.
Nonetheless, I thought I would share a handful of lessons I have learned. This post is a helpful guide for those who starting out in the real world. I hope it will shine a soft light on the streets navigating you onto your journey.
1. Always swallow your pride to say you are sorry. Being too proud to apologize is never worth it.
2. Possessions are worse than worthless. They add no value to your life and cost you everything. The time and money spent shopping for them, maintaining them, insuring them, and fixing them are meaninglessness.
3. The moment is all there. All our worries and plans about the future are in your head. Do not let it distracts you from living now. Focus on what you are doing right at this moment.
4. Avoid debt such as credit card debt, student loan, home debt, personal loans, and auto loans. We think they are necessary, but they are not. They cause more headaches than they are worth, they ruin your lives, and they cost us much more than we get.
5. If you find yourself swimming with all the other fish, go the other way. They do not know where they are going.
6. You will miss a ton, but that is okay. We are so caught up in trying to do everything, experience all the essential things, not miss out on anything important that we forget the simple fact that cannot experience everything.
7. Mistakes are the best way to learn. Do not be afraid to make them. Try not to repeat the small ones too often.
8. Rest is more important than you think. People work too hard, forget to rest, and then begin to dislike their jobs. People who try to do too much do not realize rest is where their body gets stronger.
9. Failures are the stepping stones to success. Without failure, we will never learn how to succeed. So try to fail, instead of avoid failure.
10. Let go of expectations. When you have expectations of something you put it in a predetermine box that has little to do with reality. You set up an idealized version of the thing (or person) and then try to fit the reality into this ideal. Experience reality as it is.
11. Giving is so much better than getting. Give with no expectation of getting something in return. Too often we give something and expect to get an equal measure in return. Try to let go of that need, and give.
12. Competition is very rarely as useful as cooperation. Our society is geared toward competition. However, humans are meant to work together for the survival of the tribe. It requires a whole set of people skills to work cooperatively.
13. Do not sit too much. It kills you. Move, dance, run, or play.
14. Create. The world is full of distractions, but very few are as important as creating. Creating is one of the few things that give meaning. When it is time to work, clear away all else and create.
15. Do less. Most people try to do too much. They fill life with checklists, and try to crank out tasks as if they were widget machine. Throw out the checklists and figure out what is important. Stop being a machine and focus on what you love.
Ad Disclosure: Certain offers that appear on this site originate from paying advertisers, and this will be noted on an offer’s details page using the designation "Sponsored", where applicable. Advertising may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). At Common People Hub, we try to present a wide array of offers, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products.